Progress on Our Deck

It’s finally starting to feel like spring here in upstate NY.  I can’t wait for barbecues, roasting marshmallows, and soaking up some sun on our newly built deck.  Now that there have been a couple of nice days we’ve been able to make some progress on it.


The longest process so far has been digging the holes for the concrete piers.  Every time we started digging the hole would fill up with water.  It was very aggravating lol.  We tried pumping the water out with a transfer pump, but the water was pouring in faster than we could pump it out.  Our next idea was to suck the water out using a wet/dry vac.  That seemed to do the trick.  We probably filled up the wet/dry vac 50 times before the hole was empty, so that’s roughly 700 gallons.  I have no idea where all that water came from.  We eventually hooked a hose to the reservoir, so we didn’t have to dump it out every time. Ugh!  What a mission.  Once the holes were empty we were able to pour the concrete.


So far, we have set all the piers and built the lower deck.  We still have the upper deck to build, and the railings to install.  After everything is done, we will make a tutorial on how to build your own deck.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s